Monday, April 1, 2013

The SlutFreeze Ultimatum


So I realize I haven't posted on here awhile. Believe me, it's not because I haven't wanted to! I have done so much research the last couple months, it's become a bit overwhelming. Many more blog posts to come. But first I've got to sort through the hundreds of images, references, videos, articles, etc. Like I've said, this is a multi-faceted issue. One that's NOT just going to disappear overnight. Issues like racism, stereotyping, cultural appropriation, satire, censorship, rape, and Native American culture and history (and misinterpretations of it) are practically LIMITLESS. I have my perspective and opinions, but I want to take my time in explaining them properly. I'm in no rush. Also, there are so many perspectives and layers and issues to focus on! My plan is tackle them one at a time.

BUT FOR NOW... I wanted to (FINALLY!) share a story of something that has happened fairly recently. A story that I find to be incredibly unfair, and worth being published. Let it be known that the REASON I have waited until NOW to release this story is because I did not want it to seem like I was in any way intending to sabotage the event. I wanted to allow the event to take place, with plenty of room to breath before I shared this story. I wanted it to be as successful as it could be without my involvement or support, because I believe in the organization as a whole. It has now been well over a week, and I am itching to get this out!



Since first hearing of it in 2011, I have been a strong supporter of "SlutWalk," the international protest march against explaining or excusing rape by referring to any aspect of a woman's dress or appearance.  It is fundamentally a radical feminist organization challenging the "Slut" stereotype, victim blaming, shaming and misogynistic attitudes. SlutWalk is a huge organization, led by women. Their Facebook page has almost 30,000 followers, with protest marches in practically every major city you can think of. Women are encouraged to dress however provocatively they want, because sexy clothing does NOT = consent. 



I believe in SlutWalk so much, that I even referred to them in my Vita.mn interview about the controversy and have felt like during all the shaming and blaming directed towards me, they are the organization I have felt most aligned to that fully explain my perspective.

Which is WHY I was thrilled when I was asked to be a featured performer in "The Slut Freeze," a big fundraising event for SlutWalk Minneapolis. I was originally asked to join the show by Cherry BombJac, the event coordinator and owner/operator of BurlesqueMN and producer of The Wicked Wenches Cabaret. I was excited and pleased to join the show, scheduled to take place at The Saloon on Saturday, March 23rd.




I confirmed to perform, of course choosing to only do my "non-Native" acts, staying true to my public statement of suspension. (See "The Backstory" for full explanation.) I was scheduled to perform my new Mary Poppins act, to "Spoonful of Sugar." Not offensive to the Native community in the least.

I received this email in confirmation:

Tomahawk:

We are so honoured that you wish to perform in our fundraiser event. Your talent and performances are awesome and people have told me that you are one of the BEST in the country.

Wow!  :)

Whatever you'd like to perform is fine with me. Our theme is Sexpositivity and Being Proud of being a Sexual Person and however you want to interpret that, please please use your artistic talents to do so.

I'll add you to the chain email so you're kept current with what's going on.

Thank you so much again for wanting to be part of our fundraiser!


Kimberia Sherva

Executive Director, SlutWalk Minneapolis

Great, I thought. Super stoked to do it. That was on March 3rd. I was really happy that, in the middle of all this controversy, I would be able to perform as a featured headliner with the organization I felt MOST sided with my perspective and has fought on the forefront for women's rights to express themselves however "slutty" they want without being blamed as the victim. I saw it as the perfect opportunity to stand with them and publicly show what I believe and the perspective I'm coming from!

Their motto is  It’s not “don’t get raped”, it’s “don’t rape”  
                 100% AGAINST RAPE CULTURE!

Needless to say, I was rather shocked and appalled when, just 4 days after confirming, I received THIS:

Hi there!

Thank you very much for the information.

I do want to discuss the issues that have come up concerning your performance and name and what both sides have talked about concerning both.

Thank you for changing your performance. The Mary Poppins sounds great and I'm sure will go over well (just like a teaspoon of sugar!)  :)

Frankly, this whole thing puts us between a rock and a hard place and this is a really hard email to write because I hate Drama Llama stuff.

I very much understand that you have built up a brand with your performance name. I also understand why people in the American Indian community find your name troubling to them. I know that you've built up an audience based on your professional performances and artistry as well. So I can see both sides of what's going on.

SlutWalks world wide have received criticism from minority groups for not being inclusive and for ignoring the issues of minority women. SlutWalk Minneapolis has made a continuous effort to reach out to all communities, including the Hmong, African-American, Muslim, and American Indian communities. We've had people of all diversities and colour come to our events and we want to make sure that our door is always open to everyone.

One of the biggest issues we've pushed hard against was the watered down version of VAWA. We've been vocal on Twitter about not backing down from demanding that the American Indian women be given the full protection that the new VAWA can provide. We're pretty happy that it has passed and that for the first time ever, American Indians can prosecute rapists who come prey on Reservations solely because they knew they'd not be punished for it.

I know you've intended your act to be satire towards the sexualization that American Indians go through. Unfortunately, most people are only going to see the sexual aspect of it and tie it into the whole culture of marginalization/sexualization. In other words, you're unknowingly tying into it when you're trying to get others to see what's wrong with it.

SlutWalk Minneapolis has to walk their talk or we're not going to be looked at as an organization with integrity. It wouldn't be right for us to be outspoken for American Indians' rights and then ignore what's going on here just for a fundraiser. That makes us look pretty awful, actually, and it's not fair to you as well.

I'd like to give you a couple of options.

1. You'd still perform your act but we wouldn't put you on the poster with your name. Because your act is not the one that people have protested against (and are happy that you've changed), we see no problem with having your act in the show. Because your name is the ongoing issue, we would compromise and not publicize it and leave it up to you to invite people to the show.

2. You decide to debut a new show name. We would be thrilled to publicize and promote you if you decided to put aside the name you're using now and introduce a new performing persona. We'd put you on the poster (new name formerly known as) and you are more than welcome to promote yourself and tell people to catch your new act and name at the fundraiser. It would be a great opportunity to kickstart yourself to the community.

Either is your choice to make. Of course, if you choose not to perform at all, I understand. I'm not here to force you to do anything but I do have to stand by our Mission statement and our broad community involvement.

I'm very sorry that I was unaware of what has been going on in the community. I would have talked to you about it from the get go and saw where you stand before asking you to perform.

Whatever you decide to do, I'll support and respect. Please let me know by Sunday as I'm going to get the invite created and I can take your decision into account before the weekend is over.

I've cc'd: Wicked Wenches, Kalila, and my vice chair so we all know what's going on and so everyone knows how and why I've emailed you about this.


Thank you very much,


Kimberia

They then followed that up with another email informing me they would also accept "Tommie Tassels" as my name on the bill... Which would be WEIRD, considering I go by Tomahawk, or the nickname "Tommie" in my everyday life. To mix that with "Tassels," my stage name just seems silly to me. Also: NOT MY NAME! And not the name you asked to BOOK. 

I really truly did think about my "options." I toyed with some names and concepts that I've been playing with and considering for years, LONG before all this controversy and demand that I change my name. But nothing really made sense, and to do that would be a permanent decision. One I did NOT want to make. These were not "options," however well intended they may be... THIS was an ULTIMATUM. It felt like black mail almost. So, after 4 days of honest thought and consideration, I finally responded with this.

After much thought and deliberation, I have ultimately decided that if these are my options it is best for me to not perform in your benefit show. While I absolutely understand you feel you are being put in a difficult position, this ultimatum puts me in an even more difficult position. I have made the public statement suspending all Native acts, and stand by that presently. It must be acknowledged, however, that this decision was made primarily for my safety! Not a decision I wanted to make. I have been endangered in this controversy, and the target for multiple violent threats, to myself and the burlesque community, by various individuals from the Native community. This is a heartbreaking tragedy, and as you can imagine has been extremely painful as my entire identity, both as an artist and a human being have been under public scrutiny.

I am in no way ashamed of any of my performances or actions in the past. I am an artist, and continue to stand by my intentions as an artist, as well as my freedom of expression. I hear you that you want to be inclusive to minority groups and welcome people of all diversities and colors. It is a huge relief that the VAWA has finally been passed, and a travesty that Native women on reservations have not been protected! I have been doing this performance art as Tomahawk Tassels for a long time, and I think it was just serendipitous that all of this controversy came out at the time that it did, when the VAWA was a major social and political concern. To blame ONE performer for countless violent acts towards native women seems very unfair. This, to me, is very similar to victim blaming and the entire attitude behind shaming and rape culture. I have simply been an easy target, someone to point the finger to for a problem that far exceeds my performance art or public persona. I have always supported and stood by Slutwalk, as your organization parallels my perspective as a burlesque performer. I am a feminist, who has taught hundreds of women the art of striptease. It is incredibly empowering, and an art form that CELEBRATES the body. I am 100% against rape culture and the misogynistic attitudes that pervade our communities even now. Which is why, especially given the recent controversy surrounding my acts, was extremely excited to be a featured performer for your benefit show!

You are right, I have built up a brand and a massive fan-base worldwide around my performance name. I have been doing this since 2006, and have performed around the country and Internationally, have been featured on national television, and performed in many Burlesque Festivals and events. My name is recognizable. Unlike you, I do not, however, understand why people in the American Indian community find my name troubling to them. I have heard many, many opinions from them around this, but I do not see why my NAME is offensive! It is my name. It is my identity, both on and offstage. It is WHO I AM. To demand that I change it seems unfair. Why should I be asked to erase the part of myself I am so proud of? I have already made a HUGE effort to appease them by suspending my Native acts in an attempt to engage in conversations with the community about these issues. I continue to do this, and to take a step back, humbly, as an artist looking at all of this objectively and with an open heart. I have even started a blog to discuss these issues more in depth, and to further explain my side of things. I would encourage you to check it out and follow me in this journey.

To be given an ultimatum such as this, is really painful. Talk about being put between a rock and a hard place! I hear you that you were unaware of the controversy when you asked me to perform, and I see that you are attempting to appease everyone by offering these "options."  I simply cannot agree to them because it would mean not being true to myself, both personally and as an artist. One of the reasons I was excited to do this show was because I very strongly support your organization, and it was a chance to publicize my stance on rape culture, etc. To perform without any publicity seems counter-productive, and negates the point. Also it makes me feel unsupported as an artist by your organization when I would be donating my time and talent to you. Not to mention that THIS EXACT attitude supports what I am against. I refuse to be bullied or pushed into decisions I don't want to make. I stand behind my name and have NO intention of changing it. To ask a performer to perform in your event, but ONLY if they change their NAME(!!!!!) or choose to do it without any publicity just seems so wrong to me. Why have them in your show if you are not supportive of them? Again, I understand you feel you are in a difficult position and are doing this to cover your ass, but I am honestly very disappointed. I would have assumed that an organization such as Slutwalk would be fundamentally against Censorship. Many of the most provocative, compelling and controversial artists in history have been censored, so in a way I guess I consider it an honor. It is not true art until it offends someone! In my opinion, it really goes back to the artists' heart and intentions. I know that I have pure intentions and my heart as an artist has always been to make a statement about the absurd stereotypes of my culture.

For the time being, I will continue to perform "non-Native" burlesque acts, but again, it pains me deeply to be censored in this way. As always, I support and stand behind your organization and believe we should be able to act as free human beings, both sexually and artistically. Someone somewhere will always find this freedom offensive, or take it as a pass to extend harsh judgement, or shame, or even violence. It is a challenge I courageously accept to stand strong and proud, naked and unashamed, not "asking for it," but showing the world that THIS IS WHO I AM and I am proud of that.

I wish you well in your benefit show and all future endeavors. If you change your mind about my performance, please know I would be happy to contribute anytime and strongly support your cause. But I MUST remain true to myself, and refuse to be pushed into decisions that are not my own. Thank you for your time, consideration, and understanding.

Sincerely,
Tomahawk Tassels

They simply responded in polite acceptance of my decision.

Tomahawk:

Thank you very much for taking the time and consideration to send this very thoughtful email.

I appreciate your feedback and wish you the very best in your burlesque career.

Best wishes,

Kimberia


Welp, that sucks, I thought. I had spent all day writing and editing my email, then very quickly got the response back. I left to teach my weekly Hip-Hop dance class (yes I teach Hip-Hop!) feeling very sad and defeated, and was doing my best to put it behind me. THEN I returned home a few hours later to find THIS in my inbox:

Greetings,

After much discussion with my troupe, The Wicked Wenches must now also decline to participate in this event in light of your shocking choices concerning Tomahawk Tassels.

I know you've intended your act to be satire towards the sexualization that American Indians go through. Unfortunately, most people are only going to see the sexual aspect of it and tie it into the whole culture of marginalization/sexualization. In other words, you're unknowingly tying into it when you're trying to get others to see what's wrong with it.

To have an organization, such as the Slut Walk take this stance is disturbing and painful. Slut Walk is supposed to be a fore front advocate of any woman's right to be sexual, open and artistic in any context, at any time without fear or shame. Yet the above states that because "most people" won't understand her act that she is promoting rape culture IE she's asking for it because she is stripping. Well then all of us burlesque performers are "asking for it" because "most people" don't understand the satire we are representing.

Your demand that Tomahawk change her stage name or perform unknown is the exact type of slut shaming you claim to fight against. The accusations against her that her acts somehow promote the ongoing sexual assault of Native (or Non Native) women are unfounded, and appalling. We expected Slut Walk representatives to understand this and are very disappointed to find out otherwise.

Good luck with your future endeavors.

Wicked Wenches

My jaw hit the floor. I was stunned! In this entire situation, I have felt SO ALONE. Never did I even consider that someone would stand up and speak for me or defend me! Let alone drop out of the show on my behalf! There was also this sweet message in my Facebook inbox:


  • March 11

  • We couldn't let that one go. I'm so sorry you had to endure that yet again. Now they can hold their event minus their coordinator (me) and over half their acts. Stay strong girl 



Later several other local performers either dropped out of the event or declined when asked to perform, in support of my decision and rejecting that kind of attitude and shaming ultimatum that one wouldn't expect from an organization like SlutWalk. 

I truly expected much more from SlutWalk, as an organization I've always supported and looked to for inspiration. I certainly didn't expect to see anyone stand up to them in my defense, as they aimed to single me out and shame me into complying to the name change. It has been a painful last couple months for me, and I was genuinely excited for the opportunity join forces with SlutWalk in this performance, as an opportunity to speak out publicly against rape culture and victim blaming. Not to mention freedom of expression as an artist. But yes, this kind of behavior is exactly what we are struggling AGAINST as free, empowered women and as performance artists!

A slam to one is a slam to all. As far as I can see, this kind of language only supports the misogynistic attitude we are trying to speak out against. I am constantly focusing on encouraging women, empowering women, and pushing women to be fearless and free, both on and offstage. I commend Cherry BombJac, The Wicked Wenches, and the others for standing up and making this difficult decision. I believe we ALL will benefit from strong choices such as these.

I learned the battle against rape culture is bigger than we realize. These twisted ways of thinking can manage to rear their ugly heads even among those you might consider allies. Even in the organizations we use to fight it.

Image by Georgie Morley


Finally, I'd like to post a thread from my Facebook page that further discusses this. It began with a simple definition of the word "Censorship," but after explaining WHY I posted it, the conversation picks up. Mostly to be noted are the responses from SHARLA STREMSKI who is the Vice Chair of SlutWalk Minneapolis, and the face for the Slut Freeze poster (above). Yes she makes some good points. But I still don't think it is an excuse for their behavior.


CENSORSHIP: The suppression of words, images, or ideas that are "offensive," happens whenever some people succeed in imposing their personal political or moral values on others. Censorship can be carried out by the government as well as private pressure groups. Censorship by the government is unconstitutional.
Like ·  · Promote · 
  • Brent Garens · Friends with Red Austere and 36 others
    Censorship by individuals is simple, STOP watch and stay out of others rights.
  • Brucifer Wodurid · 57 mutual friends
    And political correctness is fascism pretending to be sensitivity.
  • Stu Nami I think you offended the censors. They don't know how to try and censor you twice, but dammit, they're gonna try.
  • Brucifer Wodurid · 57 mutual friends
    "In a democracy it is necessary that people should learn to endure having their sentiments outraged."



    ~ Bertrand Russell
  • Tomahawk Tassels This is just a definition of the word "Censorship." Given it's particular importance and relevance in my life right now, I thought I would post it. Today I had to write a very painful email in response to an organization I support, SlutWalk Minneapolis. They had asked me to be their featured headliner for a benefit show but ONLY if I would comply with an ultimatum they issued, choosing to either perform without being publicized or announced, or to perform under a new name, being billed as "New Name," Formerly known as Tomahawk Tassels. I felt like doing this would mean not staying true to myself both as a human being and as an artist. So I wrote a long response declining their event because I refuse to be forced to make decisions I don't want to make. I refuse to be censored.
  • Stu Nami That is disheartening to hear.
  • Brucifer Wodurid · 57 mutual friends
    "The Artist Formerly Known As ... Tomahawk Tassels" .... just don't do it, sheesh. And I am frankly astounded at SlutWalk's stance on this! As one of their biggest slogans is."It Is A Dress - Not A Yes," should this 'ethic' not also apply to a burlesque costume/performance? Damned hypocritical, if you ask me!
  • Tomahawk Tassels Brucifer Wodurid, agreed. I think I am going to post my response, along with their demands in a new blog post about censorship. Stay tuned!
  • Jonathan Dregni · 18 mutual friends
    Being responsive to well considered opinions is healing.
  • Ruth Thomas So, with all the ultimatums, why did they ask you to perform? Are you to be their symbol of reform? I guess bullies come in all shapes and organizations. I always thought Slutwalk Minneapolis stood up against bullying, seems they've just become one.
  • Kelly Linder · Friends with Steven Wolf and 18 others
    I support your decision. People now days and their PCness. If you think your going to go through life and not offend or be offended your sadly mistaken.
  • James Brummel · Friends with Matthew Cummings
    I think PC and censorship are different. PC means not calling a baseball team The RedSkins, like you don't call a team The Brooklyn Kikes or The Cleveland Retards. Its better name is tact.

    Censorship is the GOVERNMENT prohibiting expression, be it a word or a picture or a funky hair style. Facebook tells you no nude pix? Use a different social network. Problem solved. That is not censorship.

    In China wearing yellow can get you arrested because it is the color of Fulon Gong, a banned spiritual practice. That is censorship.
  • Michael Johnson Featured performer? But not named, or named "new name," you would think everyone would know who you are anyway and would be talking about it that much more. Would they all have the same groupthink and put you in your place, as your new moral protector? Or would they all pretend it's not that big of a deal? I bet it was a bureaucratic type decision, where somebody came up with a compromise and the outcome still sucks.
  • Pouty Petals I was seriously thinking about volunteering to perform for the slut walk fundraiser but now in light of the demand/ultimatum made to Tomahawk Tassels to perform only if she changes her name, I honestly can't. I'm really disappointed. I support a number of charities, shelters, & feminist/equal rights/sexual freedom movements thru both volunteering and $$$, and will continue to do so, but this year SlutWalk Minneapolis will not be one of them...at least not at this particular event.
  • Aane Fosse You can use my name to headline if you want.
  • Tomahawk Tassels Michael Johnson, yes, precisely what happened. Pouty Petals, thank you for your support. I was shocked and pleased to see the Wicked Wenches Cabaret also dropped off the bill on my behalf. Was not expecting that, AT ALL! But happy to know I am not alone in this struggle. I, too was VERY disappointed with SlutWalk Minneapolis and their censorship/efforts to change my name and act. Very hypocritical of an organization that is supposedly AGAINST misogynistic attitudes and rape culture!
  • Sabra Jewell Love please post their ultimatums and your response on your blog soon so I can link it to my page and go off on a tirade why SLUTwalk Minneapolis is now a hypocrtiical organization.. un-effing-believable,, they just caved exactly into what they are trying to fight against ,, HOW INFURIATING..
  • Tomahawk Tassels Okay! Will do... Was gonna wait to get some photos back that connect with the "Censorship" topic, but maybe I'll just do that and post the photos as a "Round 2!" haha SOON SOON SOON.
  • Ziggy Vouraun Censorship is a cancer.
  • Sharla Stremski · 26 mutual friends
    I want to speak as a Vice Chair of SlutWalk Minneapolis. I want to say that we never intended to censor Tomahawk Tassels or demand that she change her name. When Tommie originally talked to Kim about performing, Kim was completely unaware of the controversy. When she found out about it, we realized there were potential problems with strongly associating her name with ours, as we have a particular mission of making SlutWalk ethnically diverse and we do not want to alienate Native American communities. So, rather than dump Tomahawk Tassels from the show, we tried to come up with potential compromises to offer her, which were: not listing her on promotional materials, promoting a new name for her if she did wish to change it, or listing her on promotional materials as "Tommie Tassels" instead of Tomahawk. We did this with the understanding that Tomahawk might not wish to perform under those circumstances, which turned out to be the case. 

    I'm sorry we phrased things in such a way that it felt like censorship or demands. That was never anyone's intent. In trying to solidify the details of our show in a short time frame, Kim did phrase some things poorly, not having a lot of time to consider the situation.
  • Pouty Petals Am I the only one who finds it ridiculous that in an effort to keep with the mission statement of having SlutWalk Minneapolis ethnically diverse they tell the Native American Performer they booked that she can't perform unless she changes her name to something basically "less" Native American sounding.
  • Theodora Brass Basically caving in to people who want to blame her for perpetuating rape culture by...um...dressing in a provocative way and celebrating her sexuality and artistic freedom. Go home SlutWalk, you're drunk.
  • Sharla Stremski · 26 mutual friends
    The demand that Tomahawk Tassels change her name did not come from SlutWalk. It came from a segment of the Native American community. And while SlutWalk does not condone the slut-shaming, threatening tactics of some of those protestors, we give them the benefit of the doubt that the protest as a whole is not all about sex. Native Americans have taken offense at stereotyped portrayals of their culture in plenty of situations where sex was not involved - the most well-known being the various sports team mascot controversies.
  • Sharla Stremski · 26 mutual friends
    However poorly SlutWalk handled the situation, I think it would be hard to argue the fact that publicly associating the SlutWalk name with the name Tomahawk Tassels in the middle of this controversy seems counterproductive to a mission to reach out to the Native American community. I have been trying to make both sides of the controversy better understand each others' positions*, and you don't do that by pissing either side off. Unfortunately, in trying not to upset the Native American community, SlutWalk put Tomahawk Tassels in a difficult place and upset people on the other side of the controversy. I am very sorry about that but I don't know what I can do about it aside from apologize for how the situation was handled. I'm open to any suggestions on how everyone could heal and get past this.

    * Before you criticize SlutWalk further, please read my series of posts about the Tomahawk Tassels controversy, in which I try to better understand it myself and to give people on both sides a better understanding on why the other side feels the way they do:

    http://www.facebook.com/sharla.stremski/posts/573053266052756

    http://www.facebook.com/sharla.stremski/posts/573204666037616

    http://www.facebook.com/sharla.stremski/posts/573730925984990
    I am not personally offended by any of Tomahawk Tassels's wide range of Native American themed burlesque performances that I have seen. Some of them were beautiful and incredibly tasteful, others were bizarre and lurid and made me go "WTF?", but either way I don't think it is this white girl's place to pass any judgement on their appropriateness. But I can understand and respect why others feel they have legitimate reason to protest.

    Let's set aside the sexual aspect of it for the moment, because it seems to be making people crazy on both sides of the issue, turning it into a fight between sex-positivity and sex-negativity. And I don't think it's about that.

    Imagine if, instead of a burlesque dancer, Tomahawk Tassels was, say, a rock musician who dressed up in Native American costumes and portrayed stereotypes in a satirical manner in her performances. She considers this justified partly because she is part Native American (though she looks white and grew up without any real direct contact with her native heritage) and partly because of her subtle and easily-missed distinction that her performances are intended to satirize white peoples' perceptions of native culture rather than parodying native culture itself.

    So, with the sexual aspect taken out, would some Native Americans still be offended by this and request that she change her ways? Yes. Take out the sexual aspect and the protests might be smaller, less nasty or less publicized, but they would still be there. There is a by necessity a long rich history of protest against stereotyped portrayals of minorities, and her justifications for what she is doing would not be enough to make everyone comfortable.

    One thing I have found strange in this controversy is Tommie Tomahawk Riley's apparent astonishment at the protest against her. It wouldn't take much contact with modern native culture to gain an understanding of how and why some segments of it might angrily disapprove of what she does. So I can't help but feel that while the native culture she portrayed onstage was not the real native culture, the native culture she identified with was not exactly the real native culture either.

    So Tomahawk may have a strange, cobbled-together native identity, but one things her critics should understand is, it very much IS her identity. She has not identified with or answered to her birth name for years. When you tell her to change her stage name, you are telling her to change her NAME, to change who she is. That puts her in a very hard place (however much she might have, unknowingly, brought it upon herself) and I have great sympathy for her.
  • Rob Thomas I have a question... ? When things were offered to Tommie as potential compromises, what points was SlutWalk offering to give ground upon?
  • Theodora Brass Sharla, you make many intelligent points. Thank you for your thoughtfulness.
  • FyreSnake Shirvana Oh dear. I empathize with both sides of this, however, it's critical that we do not tell others what to call themselves. It's our identity as performers. Tommie, stay strong, Love.


I'd love to know... WHAT DO YOU THINK? And what do you think of SlutWalk Minneapolis and their decision to give me this ultimatum???

6 comments:

  1. i am happy to hear so many people supporting you. It seems in the long run, you were unfortunate enough to be caught up in the No Doubt controversy cycle. And to claim that somehow your stage name (a tool or weapon) is offensive when you've already made the major concessions concerning your performances, seems ridiculous. To ask for you to perform, while it's hidden or distorted that you're performing seems ridiculous.
    The fact is, you have built your brand, you have built your fanbase, and in having you perform, any producer worth their salt, wants to excite and encourage that fanbase to attend, because, hey, you're going to be there!
    The facts are you are not a mean person. You do not go out of your way to hurt people. And you are not up in a mansion somewhere, looking down on others, making money hand over fist off of a people.
    We love and support all you do,
    Stu and Alice
    Rockabilly Girl Productions

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Your demand that Tomahawk change her stage name or perform unknown is the exact type of slut shaming you claim to fight against. The accusations against her that her acts somehow promote the ongoing sexual assault of Native (or Non Native) women are unfounded, and appalling."

    THAT hits the nail RIGHT on the head, IMHO.

    Much love,
    Annie Cherry

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm kinda torn. Both sides have some good points, and knowing both Kim and Sharla, I know there was never any intended negativity or intent to censor.

    I would have liked to see some more options, or instead of making it a two-option choice, to inform you of the potential issue and open a dialog to try and either find a solution that fit both of your concerns, or ultimately decide there was no obtainable solution.

    Both Kim and Sharla were very busy trying to get stuff together, both have "real lives", and I'd be willing to bet that much communication was lost in the rush. It's unfortunate, but that seems to happen during crunch time for a whole lot of people.

    That being said, I am far more disgusted with those that are creating the drama over the name "Tomahawk" to begin with. There is IMHO far more frenzy being generated over that alone than there has ever needed to be.

    The solution to that is a far more difficult one, and I don't have any ideas on how to fix it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looking at this controversy as a part of a much larger picture of current American culture, one thought keeps occurring to me. There is a great friction between this ideal of total equality, which has spun off PC culture in it's wake, and the complete inequality of the way people's options and feelings are treated. This is America---we were founded on the ideals of equality and strive for it. But it can be taken too far, beyond logic. We still have logic to contend with. The fact is that the world is full of a total spectrum of quality--there is good, bad and mediocre of everything. Ignoring that fact is troublesome. On the other hand, this unsubtle, over the top, detail oriented, one size fits all vision of equality has much friction with our aggressive need to place higher pedestals for certain people, opinions and feelings in certain contexts. Certain people's offence is ignored or laughed at or totally shrouded on any given topic, while other's are grossly overblown in volume, size and importance. Obviously, there is some value to this in moderation. Someone who has studied a topic greatly should be listened to with attention, more than someone who's given the same topic little thought (but they could both potentially add insight). And people who have certain experiences will feel certain things more deeply and have special knowledge of those experiences. But taking this concept too far is troublesome. It gets us into weird places fast---like in this case, 'I'm more native than you are,' or 'You aren't native enough.' The current underlying these claims (and I think Sharla implies the 'You aren't native enough,' version)is that being native gives your stance on such topics more credence. Frankly, good, fair and logical ideas are just that, whomever they come from. So while being part of native culture (having a certain blood in your veins really has little to do with it, you could never know you have native blood, for instance...) may provide some helpful insights on such topics, it isn't required. And it is by no means a guarantee of thoughtful discourse or fairness. Such a belief is misplaced, and at it's core even racist. But it is often the first flag carried by those who claim to detest (and perhaps do) racism.

    I see these two forces---all inclusive, aggressive, modular equality (to he point of ignoring better ideas or talents)and the PC bullying it has set off, versus a culture of extremely unequal contextual value put on certain people's opinions (to the point of ignoring good perspectives and ideas from all angles)and the pandering and ignoring that creates as the cause of a lot of strife these days. I see it a lot in this conflict we are speaking of.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I didn't see this thread originally on facebook. But looking over it here, the first thing that comes to my mind is that Sharla is way out of line. Shrouded in non-threatening language and claims of empathy, she questions Tomahawk's native identity on the sole basis that no true Native American could be surprised at controversy surrounding her act. Two problems with that--surprise at controversy of any kind is not really an indicator of how 'Native' someone is. Second, I don't remember hearing Tomahawk say she was surprised about controversy. I think she expects some, and thinks it is an important way of challenging people. But that's speculative. However,to speculate further, I think the threats, and in this case lack of support from an organization which claims to respect self-expression are surprises. But I think it is wrong to say without evidence that controversy is a surprise to Tomahawk and that 'surprise' can be used as evidence of dubious native-ness. It's garbage logic, and involves putting a lot of words in others' mouths and ideas in others' heads (without their consent). In that respect, this sort of thinking seems to parallel exactly what slutwalk etc. tries to combat. Bottom line; I think it is tacky and unhelpful to question someone's culture or conviction/knowledge of that culture. It's a critique you'd better have a lot of backing info for if you for some reason feel the need to bring it up.

    ReplyDelete
  6. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CCw2MzKjpoo

    ReplyDelete